© Laura Murray 2011
“Stackers” is the technique I’ve been using to layer fused and painted squares of fabric together to create seemingly complex designs without piecing. The Hacienda Block shown here illustrates the technique, which is based on squares and triangles. Many variations are possible with this approach, considering that many traditional quilt blocks are based on square and triangles.
Note: Instructions assume working knowledge of paintstik rubbing techniques. Click here for downloadable Paintstik Instructions.
- 1/4 yd each of dark, medium and light value solid color (or tone-on-tone) cotton fabrics (black, turquoise, and red are used in my sample)
- 12" (approx) square of fabric for the background
- Iridescent paintstiks: turquoise, gold, copper, leaf green and purple
- Circuits and Spirals stamps from Laura Murray Designs (or similar stamps)
- 1 yard Lite Steam-a-Seam 2 fusible web